I found out last night that I DID NOT get the job at Blake. They will still however call me for the ocassional sub job. It's just as well because I'm not ready for my quest to end yet and I KNOW that Blake is not my final destination.
I had a good visit at the Waldorf school today. It was like visiting a different magical realm. I stepped through this curtain and entered a land of pure imagination where children spent their days farming and drawing and building and sewing. There was no evidence of any technology past the 19th century and there were no tests. The only items students kept in their desks were crayons and flutes. Everything was handmade. Children spent more time making jam and grape juice and molding beeswax than reading books.
Have you ever seen the movie by M.Night Shamalan, THE VILLAGE?
It was like that: Here are these people living La Vida 1776 when just outside and all around them is the world of 2008!
It was weird, seriously!
In general, I was in culture shock. I kept thinking about all the changes I would have to make to myself and my beliefs about teaching in order to fit in there. I'm not sure if it's for me but I have no doubt that it's good for children.
The admissions director who was my guide for the brief 90 minute visit gave me a lot of ideas for further study. There's a day of demonstration classes for adults on October 11th that I plan to attend.
In the meantime, I plan to redirect my search towards Montessori schools before I visit a second Waldorf school in Uptown. Also, I plan to call up a friend of mine who graduated from a Waldorf school.
The Quest CONTINUES!
Next up: More about dragons and the religious undertones of Waldorf
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP.