I just got finished reading three children's books devoted to his memory and his poems:
1. Langston's Train Ride by Robert Burleigh, illustrated by Leonard Jenkins (2004)
I fell in love with this book in 2004 when it first came out. I wrote a book review of it for a book store where I was working at the time. I'm less in love with it now that I've witnessed the other two books below. It pales in comparison. But the setup is interesting. Langston is taking a train ride to see his father in Mexico.
( What this book fails to mention is that Langston's father abandoned him when he was 5 years old. The setting of this book is the train ride he took when he was 17 to see his father for the first time since then. After this meeting, Langston quickly grows to hate his father and shortly he never sees him ever again. See "I Do Not Like my Father Much" featured in the book below.)
Langston's journey seems to be one full of hope. As he crosses the river, Mississippi, he is inspired to compose the poem that will later become known as "The Negro Speaks of Rivers". (See earlier entry in my blog.)
2. Love to Langston by Tony Medina, illustrated by R. Gregory Christie (2002)
I love this book because for each of the 14 poems chosen for this book, Tony Medina, a poet in his own right, has written a few paragraphs explaining the background to the poem. Also the drawings supplied by Christie are vibrant and full of wonder like the work of a child.
3.Poetry for Young People: Langston Hughes, edited by David Roessel & Arnold Rampersad, illustrated by Benny Andews (2006) This book also has some great drawings and editorial comments but #2 is my favorite.
Friday, December 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP.