Operation: Massive
My New Year's resolution is to finish something--anything--in the wide field of my writing. Those who know me well know that I NEVER have a shortage of ideas. What I do suffer from is a lack of follow through, a dearth of stickwititness, and the inability to find an ENDING to my prose. I've written a lot of poems of which I am proud ( perhaps I will publish them here) but even most of those emerge pretty damn golden as first drafts. I suck at revision. And yet teaching the "writing process" has been one of my many teaching responsibilities for over a decade....
So my resolution: Take one idea for a piece of prose and see it through. I just got a new one today, for a children's book. the concept is so deliciously simple and elegant that I can't believe it hasn't been done yet. We'll see, I'll write it first and THEN I'll check what else is out there.
I don't wanna say too much less someone else steal my idea out from under me but it does have to do with one of my greatest all time loves since I learned to talk.
Any guesses people?
Operation: massive begins tonight.
Deadline: I would like to present a finished draft of the story to my writer friends by the end of the month, if not sooner. Normally I would think this is an overly ambitious goal but children's books can be very short. I'm not saying it will be PUBLISHED within 1 month. If that happens it could take up to two years after I submit it to a publisher. I'm just saying I'll present a finished draft. Then the journey begins....
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so pleased for you and wish you the very best of sucess with this new adventure in writing. And I would love to see some of your poems up here.
ReplyDelete