Almost a year ago, I began this quest to find my place in the world.
And I am reminded that what happens to us,
is never as important as what happens through us.
each time we look at the day,
we are given the same endless basic choice
hope or fear
beauty or madness
convention or truth
heart or mind
I no longer take prescription drugs to deal with my chaotic, often gloomy mind
my dances with delusion are shorter now, more restrained.
I subbed in ednaville again tonight, my favorite district.
There is the possibility of entitlement there,
but they are free range children
and so I like them.
I was a writing teacher for about an hour today.
Students would read to me about what they wrote about...
what they would do with three wishes,
Whom they would invite to dinner, if they could invite anyone living or dead,
or what dream job they would like to hyave when they finally mature to adultacy
(I'm still waiting for my adult stage to arrive).
One girl told me she wished to have a life of "flexibility and happiness"
I asked her what she meant by a life of "flexibility."
"Well, I plan to make a lot of mistakes."
"That's good," I said, "because whether you plan to make them or not, they're going to happen. It's part of the process."
I wish i'd listened more. She also spoke of wanting to live in Hawaii, her desire for the economy to improve, and her hope that her family ( her entire family) find a way to happiness through all the hardships they faced.
Apparently, a few of her cousins have lost their jobs.
I also hope to have a life of flexibility and happiness.
I now know that I belong in Ednaville, Rosetown, private schools, international schools, and Montessori--to name a few possible destinations. I also know that I DO NOT belong teaching children of poverty or anywhere where children are not getting their basic needs met. My heart goes out to those students but is not who I help serve best.
We all belong somewhere. And with flexibility, I am more likely to recognize my place when I see it next.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP.