Thursday, April 2, 2009

$12.86

“Don’t listen to doubt. It leads no place but to pain and nega-tivity…
See beyond [doubt] to the vastness of life and the belief in time and practice.”
– Natalie Goldberg

The Loft Literary center wants me to "see beyond doubt" ---and these harsh economic times--and give them $25. I might. I don't see why the state of the economy should change much for me. My life partner and I live frugally already as it is. The failing economy is really just a new invitation to FEAR or a new invitation to living more simply and within our means. Fear? Doubt? No thank you. Not helpful. Live more simply? Always. Not much has changed, then.

What is $12.86 worth these days?

It's what it cost me to purchase 3 comic books. That would have been about $1.50 when I was a kid and probably about 30 cents in the golden age. But I want to do my part to support the independent businesses that I live. Dream Haven Books ( and especially comic books) is celebrating it's 32nd year anniversary currently and I'd like it to see 33. I hope my contribution helps. I wonder what percentage of that money actually goes towards upkeep and/or profit.

It also counts as research and development. My hope is that my continued fascination with all things child-like will eventually pay off. Ninjas, superheroes, robots, and spacemen are timeless topics to entertain children with. This stuff just never gets old. They embody concepts that children are fascinated with: secrets, power, transformation, good vs. evil, and technology. Besides , a colorful costume is always an essential ingredient in any entertainment.

So what did I buy with my $12.86?
2 issues of "Strange Adventures"
The story focuses on the guy on the cover, Adam Strange. I like his space suit a lot and would like to fashion one of my own someday. His jet pack, his helmet, his suit--all designs I wouldn't mind emulating.

1 copy of Seaguy #1 by Grant Morrison

This is one of my favorite comic book artists. He penned the Animal Man series back when I was in High School. I was a fan then. He has a knack for taking seemingly powerless and mundane heroes and making them extraordinary. As far as I can tell, the titular "Seaguy" is just some dude in a wet suit with a sentient parrot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP.