Sunday, October 7, 2007

The First Ten Years: On Work

The First Ten

I’ve been a teacher for ten years. I’ve taught in two countries and three different states. I’ve taught every grade from K – 8 in both public and charter schools ( also public). I have taught in schools that were majority rich, poor, Asian, Black, and Caucasian.

What have I learned?

I’m not sure yet how to put that into words.

Am I good at what I do?

After all this time, I still don’t feel very successful at all. I feel that I excel at what’s most important: relationships. I know how to manage a classroom. I know how to teach students to be kind and ethical citizens. And I know how to make learning any subject fun.

But my lack of organization and time management skills and other deficiencies have caused me to take a step back.

Again.

I’ve called a “tactical retreat” from teaching, twice now. Taken a step back to move forward.


So once again I find myself out of the classroom. I’m a substitute. I’m good at it, too. I excel at improvisation. And I know how to enter into a group of students, assess the nature of the group, and quickly establish rapport and manage a classroom.

But I miss teaching.
I don’t miss the paperwork. I don’t miss working an additional 2 hours every night and about 5 every weekend in order to prepare for the 8am – 4pm teaching day. I don’t think most non-teachers get that. Like actors, the most important work that we do is off the stage.

When you see a movie or a play, you’re not immediately aware of the months and years it took someone to prepare for what takes 1-2 hours to view.

I’m good at the performance piece. I’m not so good at the preparation. I guess that’s where I have to begin my Work.

By “Work”, I mean the business of improving. Whether it’s improving one’s craft or one’s character, we all need to do The Work of life. I’m not really sure this year of subbing will help me with that. However, the money is just barely adequate to live on and it affords me a TREMENDOUS amount of free time.

I’m home by 3pm or 4pm most days now. I have my evenings and weekends entirely free. Mostly I spend it with my girlfriend. It’s a new relationship. She stuck with me through the first hard year in which the turmoil of helping to start a brand new school was the backdrop to our relationship. This year is about making it up to her. Making time for Us. It’s also about licking my wounds, healing up, and hopefully getting more organized.

Someone once told me, “Y’know, if you were organized you’d be dangerous. “ I have a lot of imagination. I get great book ideas, interesting plans for inventions, and movements and such. But I’m very short on action and follow through.

I guess The Work of this year is figuring out how to be disciplined and organized without external structures forcing me to do such. Not that I’m going to master in a year what I couldn’t in 30. But perhaps this year will be a start. Perhaps a single step, in the right direction.

If you’re reading this, here are my questions for you:
1. Do you like your job? Is your occupation your passion or a means to pay the bills so you can afford to pursue other passions?
2. What is the best thing about your job?
3. What makes your job difficult, frustrating, or demoralizing?
4. Ten years from now, will you still be doing the same work?

2 comments:

  1. 1. I've never had a job I liked, but no one ever knew. It's always been a means to pay bills.
    2. I was able to do my own thng as long as it got results.
    3. My Boss never knew what he wanted. He was and idea guy who never followed through.
    4. I better have a job in ten years lol. My boss closed his business so I am currently out of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I agree with what you say you do need to step back in order to see what lies ahead. I worked for 15 years in retail and customer service, I liked it, but it was a job it paid my bills and there wasn't a lot of room for professional growth, so I stepped back re-evaluated what I wanted and went back to school. Now I am at the end of my course and by April I will be a certified Pharmacy Technician. So far I am loving it, like retail it is forever changing, so every day is different you can't get bored. Keep up the re-evaluating and the best of luck to you and remember not everyone is good at everything but you are good at a few things.

    quill

    ReplyDelete

LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP.