Sunday, October 28, 2007

Opportunity

I was really looking forward to a full year of substitute teaching.
Well, not at first. At first it felt like failure and I was depressed for days.
Then I saw it for the opportunity that it was: a chance to view the art of teaching from the sidelines for awhile. From the bench, it's sometimes easier to see the complexities of the game.

And to try on a few different school districts for size.

My first teaching job was in Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Public Schools are in peril. Even back then I didn't like the rules of the game. They hire you to work for the "district", put the least experienced teachers in the schools most in need of experienced teachers. Then give you ten years or so to crawl your way out. They call it "bidding." The tenured and the most experienced get the first pick for any new job. Generally, with a few exceptions, everybody wants to work for the same schools. And so the game begins....

I chose to go to the charter schools again. If I hadn't had such a horrible experience in my first inner city (North Minneapolis) school, then I wouldn't have sought a school committed to peace. I value those four years I spent at the Hope Community School. I learned what it means to educate the whole child. Or at least how to teach children about character. I received a lot of mentorship and a lot of staff development. For a small school trying to make due with a charter school budget, I felt our instrcution was at the vangaurd for the field. I still taught inner city children facing poverty and the challenges of being an immigrant in America, but we had high standards for behavior--both child and adult.

And now I'm back.
I have two job interviews tomorrow. Two opportunities.
I could be a long term sub for a 6th grade classroom in a parochial school. Private, Special circumstance, less pay, but perhaps a chance to do some good. They were attracted to my ability to be creative as a teacher.
Or I could take over a 4th grade classroom in a small school district, in late October. Supposedly the scholl is committed to integrating the arts. But we'll see if it's talk or act.

I want to teach in a school that has a set curriculum but where I have the freedom to alter and augment curriculum as I see fit. I want to teach children who need a good teacher the most. But I also have enjoyed teaching "exceptional" children. I want to get paid what I'm worth. Currently the going rate is $50,000 for my level of experience and education. Most charter schools would pay me closer to $30.

I want to find the balance.
This time I think I'll to be a Good Teacher before I try to be great.
That means grading papers on time. That means being organized and efficient with my time and my space.

Can I "fit" in a typical, average American school?
Can I find space to be good and great and still have room for a life outside the classroom?
Is there any other way than working 7am - 6pm 5 days a week and 5 extra hours on the weekend?
Can I still find time to write and publish a book?

Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP.