Friday, November 23, 2007

Crazy Teaching Idea: The Ethical Dilemma Project

It has long been my goal to get educator's to colloborate across more and more disparate platforms. Why don't teacher's colloborate more? I'd like to see teacher's from public and private and charter schools talking and sharing ideas more.

Now, since I've personally worked with teachers from each of those sectors, I would like to host an annual symposium of sorts. Since I love technology and it's a burgeoning educational discipline I thought that would be a good topic. But what project to focus on? An idea that I just thought of today is to have schools all make a wiki together. I really love the idea of Choose Your Own Adventure stories. Below is an examople of how you can construct such a story as a class by employing the internet:

http://www.editthis.info/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure/index.php/Main_Page

The twist I would like to see is Ethics. I have long been a proponent of Responsive Classroom.
http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/about/aboutrc.html

Responsive classroom is an approach to teaching that is founded on the belief that the social education of the child is as important as the academic. We spend a lot of time teaching children how to be responsible, caring, kind, and generally humane. In today's current philosophical tapestry, you could call it an "anti-bullying curriculum" .

Anyway, I would like my school and others to have a contest/colloboration to make a Choose Your Own Adventue Wiki exploring such ethical dilemmas as:

How to you stand up, authoritatively, to teasing? What do you do when a friend is not acting like one? How to respond without violence and meanness in a world increasingly predicated upon it? And other issues of relevance to 3rd thru 6th graders ( and age groups beyond those barriers).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP.