Thursday, November 1, 2007

Lesson Planning For A First Day

Planning A Lesson

You mark it down in ink
You inscribe it in paper

Measure each vowel, digit, particle, paper

objective
procedure
materials
assessment
homework

Do you think the REST of your life is like this?

What is the "anticipatory set" that will prepare you for tomorrow's today?


Tomorrow I inherit twenty-three 4th grade students
will all their faults, fractures, smiles, forgetme's, boo boo's, dreams, aspirations and seat squirming

I am as unprepared for them
as they are for me

I tried to plan a lesson effectivitely
citing verse and scripture from the Math Textbook's Teacher Manual
listing needed supplies
carefully weighing the most logical sequence of activities


Also, I went out in the world
to drink sushi and beer
with tender-kind love-person

Then came home to review my lesson planning notes from 2pm today
at 9pm tonight
in fron to fthe TV
blaring its constant drama
and sound-bite size snippings
of laugh-reel life

Which prepares me best for tomorrow?
The notes I took while meeting with all three of my co-4th grade- teachers
The sushi and drink with my companion?
The ten years of experience leading children in the classroom?

Perhaps all three.
You tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP.